Master Architecture, Building and Planning in Afbouw
Key characteristics of the course
Education in the Department of the Built Environment is research-driven and design-oriented. Research and design activities are interwoven in the program of education. The student is taught to approach relevant architectural problems in a permanent interaction between analysis and synthesis. This means that the education, a priori, is not aimed at training the student for a specific profession. In the context of a specific provision of architectural disciplines, the student is taught to be able to take a radical approach to problems and innovations (research) and to be able to develop integral solutions (design).
The ABP courses at the TU/e are characterized by their interdisciplinary nature. In the various specializations of the master courses, the student is given the opportunity to follow subjects in other Groups within and outside the Department. In this way, the student is able to learn from within his own discipline to understand the problems of other disciplines.
During the study, each student is given the responsibility for his own learning process. Each master specialization offers a certain amount of room for elective course elements. This space can be used for taking subject courses, and can also be used, for example, for setting up a work placement project.
Final Attainment level : a graduate of the master of science:
- can work in a team that is distinguished by a great disciplinary diversity
- is capable to manage teams with experts of different disciplines
- knows how to advise in a well-founded way
- accommodates assignments with a an examining and designing attitude
- can comprehend knowledge of adjoining disciplines
- can handle complex situations and judge in the case of incomplete data
- has a critical attitude towards own work, that of others and common opinions in the discipline (paradigms)
- has the capacity of logic reasoning, attentiveness and creativity and can also adjust his/hers own thoughts and decisions in an independent way
- has a social sense of responsibility and can contribute to the quality of the built environment
- has an attitude of lifelong learning
- can be a link between technique and society in a globalizing world, seen in a user’s, society and entrepreneurial perspective.
Domain specific attainment level: a graduate in the master of architecture, building and planning:
- has knowledge and insight in the broad domain of architecture, building and planning and building processes
- is competent in developing building processes and products and knows about implementing building processes and products
- has current and thorough knowledge of a specialization of architecture, building and planning
- has knowledge and insight in scientific methods and techniques that are in the interest of that specialization and can use that knowledge and insights
- can contribute in an innovative way to the development of knowledge within the chosen specialization
- can analyze a complex architectural design assignment
- can develop a conceptual model and translate it in an architectural scheme
- can analyze a research assignment
- can develop a conceptual model and translate it in a research scheme
- can perform research in an independent way
- can make a report of hers/his designing and research activities in words and pictures and present it to the profession as well to layman.