The graduation project is a 45 EC research project on a topic related to Electrical Engineering, supervised by a staff member of the faculty of Electrical Engineering. It can be carried out internally of externally agreed upon by student and supervisor. A graduation project of 45 EC takes 32 weeks full-time without breaks. For students who started in 2015-2016, 2016-2017 or 2017-2018, the graduation project is still 40 EC corresponding with 28 weeks full-time without breaks, A student is allowed to start the graduation project if at most 10 credits of his electives are still open and the rest of the program is completed. Before starting the graduation work, a student and his supervisor set up a contract which specifies project details and summarizes study progress so far. Progress and final results are presented in a halfway presentation, in a final presentation and in a paper. The professional skills academic writing and presenting are also part of the assessment. The assessment is done by a panel which is appointed by the examination committee. A graduation project may have to be preceded by lab trainings in order to be able to handle equipment and emergency situations safely. For the graduation project, additional Examination Regulation rules apply (Articles 15, 17, 19, 21, 26, 35).

For non-EU/EEA-students doing an external graduation project in the Netherlands, an additional graduation agreement (the NUFFIC Training Agreement) is mandatory. This training agreement can be downloaded from the NUFFIC site. Dutch law requires that copies of the agreement are kept by both the internship provider and TU/e. You can find more information at the Study In Holland-website. The training agreement should be signed by Mrs. Jolie van Wevelingen, managing director of the departments of Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics. Please, hand in a printed version of the training agreement to Mrs. Monique Hunck, Flux 0.158. The signed agreement will be ready for you the next day.

Finding a Graduation Project

You can find a graduation project using the Master Market Place. It is a web application where you can have a look at available graduation projects of our research groups. You may already be familiar with this system because it has similar features as the BEP market place. However, for the Master Market Place, graduation projects are continuously updated throughout the year.

Since your graduation supervisor needs to approve of part of your electives, you should discuss your electives with your mentor by the end of the first quarter. You need to take the initiative to contact the mentor yourself. You will discuss your electives with your mentor and (depending on the progress of your studies) in more or less detail the topic and the context of your graduation project with your graduation supervisor.

Starting the Graduation Project: the graduation contract

When the scope of your project has become clear, the essentials are written down in a graduation contract and signed by both student and graduation supervisor before starting the graduation project. You can get a concept graduation contract by sending a request by email to the Center for Student Administration (CSA) EE.

Completing the Graduation Project: the graduation paper

The graduation project is concluded by writing a graduation paper between 8 to 12 pages (conform IEEE publications format), which describes the project and its results, and is ready to be submitted as a regular contribution to a periodical.

The graduation paper needs to be handed in two weeks before the planned panel presentation at the Center for Student Administration (CSA) EE. Please use this title page for your paper.

Completing the Graduation Project: the graduation panel

To evaluate and grade the graduation project, the examination committee appoints a graduation panel of 4 or 5 staff members for a student who is about halfway the graduation work (see Appendix 11 or 12 of the EE Examination Regulations for more details on the composition of the graduation panel). The student's graduation supervisor will usually be part of the panel, but has no say in the grading. At this point halfway through the graduation project (after 14 weeks) the student reports and presents his work so far to the panel. The chairman of the panel evaluates the work of the student by means of the halfway evaluation form and sends it to the Center for Student Administration (CSA) EE in Flux 0.127. When the project has finished, the panel meets again with the student, giving him/her the opportunity to present and defend the graduation work. At the end of the meeting, the panel determines the student's grade with help of the final evaluation form.

Graduation formalities

The final evaluation form should be handed in at the Center for Student Administration (CSA) EE in Flux 0.127 at least 10 working days before the next Examination Committee meeting takes place. Furthermore, all other results (exams, internship) should be known and registered in Osiris 10 working days before the Examination Committee meeting as well.

In order to graduate you need to register through Osiris for the final examination. The last date of registry is about four weeks before the examination date. For exact data see the Graduation deadlines in the Digital Study Guide. Registration always refers to the first upcoming session of the Examination Committee. You do not have to be present at the meeting.

After the panel meeting, the Examination Committee discusses the student and determines a final grade for the graduation project. Half grades are allowed but the student can only graduate if the final grade is at least 6.0. In order to pass with distinction a grade 9 or higher is necessary and an average of 8 or more for all curriculum parts

On completion of the graduation project, you have to fill in the TU/e Code of Scientific Conduct for the Master's Thesis to declare that the thesis has been carried out in accordance with the rules of the TU/e Code of Scientific Conduct.

Delayed completion

The student and the graduation supervisor may decide to extend the graduation project period by at most two months. The Examination Committee needs to be informed of this extension before the end of the original period. If the extension is more than two months, a new graduation contract must be submitted to the Center for Student Administration (CSA) EE, for which an approval of the Examination Committee is needed.

After the graduation

When all parts of the curriculum are finished and the Examination Committee has decided that you are graduated, you can terminate your enrollment from the TU/e. Your enrollment will not be terminated automatically during the academic year. In order to terminate your enrollment before August 31 and receive a refund of your tuition fee, you must submit a request to that effect. You can find all information regarding this termination of enrollment procedure here

"Search year"/Orientation year

After graduation, non-EU/EEA-graduates can apply for an orientation year, also called “search year”. With this residence permit, the graduate is allowed to stay in Holland for at most 1 year to find a job. You should hand in the application at IND yourself. You can find more information regarding the “search year” via the NUFFIC website. If you have more questions regarding the application for the “search year”, you can contact Ms. Angie Lammen.