Immigration matters

Do you have the nationality of a country outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland? And do you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days? In most cases you will need a residence permit. As a TU/e student, you will not have to arrange your immigration on your own, the university will apply for your visa and/or residence permit on your behalf at the IND (Dutch immigration service).

Good to know

  • When you are in the Netherlands you only need to carry your residence permit card with you. If you go abroad you will also need your passport. 
  • With the residence permit you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands and you can travel in Schengen countries during the duration of the card. If you want to go to non-Schengen countries, you might have to arrange a visa, depending on your nationality. 
  • If your residence permit gets stolen, always file a report at the police station as the IND will ask for the report when you apply for a new residence permit card. You can apply for a replacement card directly through the IND, this will cost you € 142,00 (the amount is adjusted annually).  

Interesting links

More information

Want to know more? Contact us via the contact form below.